15 In Books & Movies/ Life

The Power Of Fiction

Coffee and books in winterSo one thing that you should know about me so far is that I love reading! There are many reasons why books have become such a large part of my life so I thought I would share a little on the blog today.

When looking for new post inspiration I discovered an old assignment from my undergrad that had me talking about the influence reading has over my life. I thought that was an interesting topic so the following is a re-working of that assignment!

As I’ve grown up, I can see the influence that reading had in my childhood and how the novels I chose to read are the stories which inspire me and in which I become invested, those that I can chose to believe as reality.  For me, fiction is creating a world which is so far from your own; however, you can choose to believe the characters and find solace in their minor details.

I don’t want to read about someone who is just like me, but I do want to read about someone I can relate to.

Fiction is an escape, it transports you, arouses feeling within you that can only be awakened from a sense of wanting the impossible.  Wanting to live in a fictitious world, whatever it may be is not a true desire but rather one that challenges your everyday notions of what is possible and helps you to continue questioning and discovering the good and the bad that make up your own story.

Some of my favourite novels contain classic examples of literary characters in Elizabeth Bennet (Pride & Prejudice) and Anna Karenina. For me these women express two extreme sides to character and influence me through acknowledging the importance of how you treat people and how you can choose to respond to the pressures of society.

I enjoy reading these novels because of the extreme feelings they evoke in me.  I feel empathy with the characters, I rejoice in their love, and I grieve at their heartache, time and time again the author takes me on the journey with them.

I say that fiction has power because it can change your perspective, influence you in ways you didn’t expect, capture your imagination and transport you to a different world all whilst you sit comfortably in your favourite chair.

Reading and writing are both important aspects in my life and I think without the ability to manipulate words, we would live in a very bland society.

Not all books are good, not everything I write makes sense, but the activity of reading and writing is a part of my life I only wish to expand.

So what am I writing now? This blog of course!

And what am I reading? I have gone back to my true literary love and have picked up, Emma by Jane Austen.

What books have challenged you, changed your perspective or just influenced you in a powerful way?

You Might Also Like

15 Comments

aliciaonemotherhen
    July 13, 2015 at 10:29 pm

I love a book that lures me in, and has me hanging on every word. I read a book called ‘Playing the Jack’, and it’s stayed in my memory ever since. It’s been a long time since I read a good fiction novel.

sallyslifestylejournal
      July 19, 2015 at 4:29 pm

I love those can’t put down books! I do always try and make sure I have some free time first before beginning though!

Lynnette
    July 15, 2015 at 3:06 pm

The book that ignited my passion for reading is a rather unusual book called The Druids Tune by O. R. Melling. I could remember reading that as a child (and having just re-read it recently) it still brings back all the memories and promises of adventures that I enjoyed reading as a child. 🙂 A book I will keep to share with my kids in the near future 🙂

sprinklesandsprouts
      July 19, 2015 at 4:16 pm

I will have to look for this, it isn’t something I have read but my 8 year old loves to read. Thanks for the tip x

sallyslifestylejournal
      July 19, 2015 at 4:27 pm

Sounds amazing! I love a good adventure theme! I will have to add it to my list!

sprinklesandsprouts
    July 19, 2015 at 1:46 am

One of my greatest joys and achievements (I am taking as my own achievement because I taught him to read as he missed out on a year of school due to our moving to Australia) is my sons love of reading and his ability to read so well. Which is why the Harry Potter series makes my list. I read them as an adult but they made me feel such a child like excitement. And I read the first one with my son, who loved it so much that he went on to read the remaining books by himself. He was 7 at the time!

Not sure it challenged or influenced me, but I read The Fault in Our Stars and I cried so much, it was moving to the point I almost couldn’t cope and couldn’t read. I can’t bring myself to watch the movie as there is no way it can live up to the book.

I read the Snow Goose in school. The concept of letting something you love free has stuck with me for 25 years.

But Pride and Prejudice is my favourite novel of all time. I just love it and every time I read it, even though I know it almost by heart, the part when Lady Catherine de Bourgh visit Elizabeth still has me do a virtual fist pump. Her confidence and confusion during that chapter are wonderful.

sallyslifestylejournal
      July 19, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Harry Potter is the reason many children read, myself in primary school when only 2 books where out I remember thinking I would hate it and being captivated!! I am yet to read The Fault in Our Stars, my friend took me to the movie when I hadn’t really heard of it. I’m not sure I could handle it again but I know I should…books are just wonderful how they can evoke our emotions and our memories!

Sammie @ The Annoyed Thyroid
    July 19, 2015 at 7:08 am

My psychologist recommended that I read the Book Thief while I was having treatment for cancer. It was a total game changer for me and gave me a whole new perspective on life, and on death. Another book that I’ve read and loved was The Fault in our Stars. I think that’s a book of so many life lessons. I don’t have nearly as much time to read as I’d like,.and now that I think about it, most of the books I’ve read recently or non-fiction works of people who inspire me. Thanks for linking up to the Ultimate Rabbit Hole. PS I must confess to a book crime… I’ve never read Anna Karenina!

sallyslifestylejournal
      July 19, 2015 at 4:38 pm

That is incredible, and to tell you the truth (this is my book crime confession) is that I cheated and saw both those movies and am yet to read the books! They were both very powerful in film form, and I am a true believer that the book is always better! Anna Karenina is an annoying book, I couldn’t completely appreciate it until I had finished it!

Robyna
    July 19, 2015 at 8:56 am

I love fiction as well – I will read anything and everything – even poorly written work can teach you something. I recently read Time and Time Again by Ben Elton and it stayed with me a while.

Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    July 19, 2015 at 1:55 pm

I wish I had more time to read. Shantaram is one book that I really loved and has stayed with me. I think my all time favourite book/s is the Tomorrow When The War Began series.

sallyslifestylejournal
      July 19, 2015 at 4:31 pm

I remember all my friends reading that series at school and I cannot tell you why I never did. I will get there, I promise!

Malinda (@MBPaperPackages)
    July 19, 2015 at 5:09 pm

This is so true, I am burning through books at the moment (well, fast for me anyway) and loving every moment of it!

The 11 Greatest Book Quotes Of All Time | Sally's Lifestyle Journal
    September 28, 2015 at 7:06 am

[…] have spoken previously about the power of literature, it is the reason we choose to get lost amongst the pages and it inspires us to examine life […]