18 In America/ Travel

Falling In Love With New York City

manhattanI am a huge fan of TV and movies, and it is through this often addicting habit that I fell in love with New York City. It is romanticised on screens everywhere in the world and I would watch the typical opening credit pan over Manhattan shot with wonder and desire to experience it for myself.

To say I had placed New York on this ridiculous pedestal of unreachable expectation is an understatement. But there it was, the city that changed my mind about even wanting to visit America at all, just waiting for me.

Like all good decisions the initial idea to travel to America came from a few too many beverages, except I was truly serious. The planning began and I knew that while we had a basic itinerary planned out which involved Orlando and San Diego, the journey for me would have to start in NYC.

It was December 2012 and our previous international travel experience involved Fiji…but here we were after what felt like a million hours, 2 flights later in JFK airport needing a taxi to Manhattan realising we really had no idea what we were doing! Very sleep deprived we let ourselves follow this man to his shady unmarked ‘taxi’ before waking up and realising this was not at all the situation we needed! So into the line for the yellow taxi’s we went as they looked like the ones on the movies so obviously they were legit!

Times SquareDuring this trip I realised I may have placed too much emphasis on the fact that all my New York research was done by watching Friends

Cold and tired we approached that famous skyline at night, the lights captivating me while Alicia Keys sung ‘in New Yooooork” in my head. I was finally here!

With five days to spend exploring we set out to get lost. And that we did, wandering through a door to realise we had just stumbled into Central Station! Every major landmark seemed to be within walking distance. It took maybe 3 days to get the courage to jump on the subway, but once we did it was like why hadn’t we been using these cheap, bumpy, fast trains the entire time?

When waiting in line to get to the observation deck of the Empire State Building a lady behind us commented ‘I bet Cary Grant didn’t have to wait in this line!’ So true. Cold, windy and crowded I didn’t really find it the romantic scene from the movies I expected but my movie moment was to come!

view from the empire state building

new york viewI almost found myself falling into a familiar routine. Mornings were about bagels and coffee and yes, American coffee is pretty awful compared to ours (sorry America) but hey, I’ll take what I can get! I always seem to associate places with their food so egg rolls, perfectly cooked Filet Mignon, meatball subs and all of the sweet potato fries I could find became my diet. Eating mixed with walking around exploring new things; these are my favourite things to do when travelling.

Five days only gave a taste of what New York has to offer but it gave me a pretty great overview and answered a lot of questions that I had.

manhattan skyline

The brooklyn bridgeSo what of the romanticisation and unreal expectations of New York City? I can’t really comment on that because well, I got engaged on our visit!

On a cold winter’s day, after a stroll through Central Park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art in front of my favourite Monet painting I was presented with a ring! Afterwards we had a beautiful lunch at the Boat House looking out over the lake in Central Park, fire roaring and a piano playing in the background. Then, just like they would on Friends, we went to a Knicks basketball game at Madison Square Garden.

The boathouse

central park 3

central park 1So I would have to say that my expectations were surpassed and New York continues to hold an important part of me, quite possibly holding onto the title of my favourite city in the world (I probably need to visit more cities first though, to be sure).

You Might Also Like

18 Comments

Lyndall
    September 8, 2015 at 6:51 pm

How wonderful that you got engaged in New York Sally. I’m sure it will always hold a special place in both your hearts for that reason. Love your photos. I’ve always wanted to go on a carriage ride around Central Park… maybe one day! 🙂

aholeinmyshoe
    September 9, 2015 at 12:47 am

I can’t wait to fall i love with New York, thank you for sharing this beautiful city with us at #TheWeeklyPostcard.

Packing my Suitcase
    September 9, 2015 at 10:21 pm

Awnnn I love NY too 😀
    I have never been there during winter though, but NY is NY, always a good idea.
    So romantic that you got engaged there, it seems to me someone knew exactly what to do 😀

#TheWeeklyPostcard

my2morrows
    September 12, 2015 at 10:21 am

Concrete jungle where dreams are made of! I love this. . You’ve got me wanting to book a trip Stat! And how special that you got engaged there. My mum was NY born and raised so it’s a city close to our families hearts. I love that it’s a walking city. You could literally just walk walk all day! Xx

Sally@Toddlers on Tour
    September 12, 2015 at 2:26 pm

We having been talking about visiting the States in a couple of years and one of the stops will be NYC. Everytime I read about it, it sounds like the most amazing city.

sallyslifestylejournal
      September 13, 2015 at 9:21 pm

I hope you can make the trip soon, I would love to get back and see more…it is such a huge country you can’t possibly take it all in at once! I really just loved NYC and would go back in a flash, hopefully you agree once you get there 🙂

Haidee@Maybe Baby Brothers
    September 12, 2015 at 6:22 pm

I absolutely fell in love with New York City too. The hustle and bustle, the sights, Times Square, Central Park, the Empire State building and the Twin Towers … I was there in NY on 9/11 but not in the city thank god. I flew out a week later. It’s just such a cool place and I would love to go back one day.

sallyslifestylejournal
      September 13, 2015 at 9:25 pm

There is so much to love isn’t there? That would have been an incredible time to experience, especially with flying at that time! I can’t even imagine.

Karin @ Calm to Conniption
    September 13, 2015 at 9:07 am

I have never been to New York but would love to. Your photos are fantastic, especially the one of Times Square.

sallyslifestylejournal
      September 13, 2015 at 9:22 pm

Thanks! It’s definitely one of those bucket list destinations. Hope you don’t have to wait too long to get there 🙂

eastwestlovestory
    September 14, 2015 at 12:20 am

This is a very lovely post and a great overview of NYC. I am still struggling to find my blogging voice. Any tips or process you went through? I think this post reads beautifully.

sallyslifestylejournal
      September 14, 2015 at 7:59 pm

Thanks so much 🙂 I had been reading HEAPS before writing this, I find it really helps me with the flow of words. Also in terms of a blogging voice I just try to write what I would want to read and try and not worry too much about the rest!

Sharon Luttrell
    May 5, 2017 at 10:18 am

I’m heading there in TWO WEEKS!!!! (Do I sound excited????). How did you manage to get into the BoatHouse? was it amazing? Now I am super excited.

Sally
      May 5, 2017 at 1:22 pm

That is sooooo exciting Sharon! You will absolutely love it! We just walked in haha, we had to wait a little while for a table but we just had a wine by the fire. They had a fellow playing the piano while we ate. It was literally a scene from a movie!