23 In Australia/ New South Wales/ Travel

Postcards From Sydney

Postcards from SydneySydney is one of the world’s most iconic cities, hosting some spectacular scenery and very individual architecture. Known for its diversity of culture, its food and its style, Sydney is constantly celebrating something new and different around every corner. Each trip I make is different; I experience a new part of the city and return home with a different impression. That to me is what makes Sydney such a unique destination.

The downside to Sydney though is definitely its high prices. Commonly regarded as one of the most expensive cities in the world, it can be a challenge to come home without having blown the budget. With very appropriate timing popular travel blogger Nomadic Matt, published a post outlining how to survive Sydney on a budget, which got me thinking how I could best explore for minimal cash.

Now Nomadic Matt is known for his ability to scrape by anywhere in the world on pocket change, so sometimes I find his tips a little too extreme. One of those on this list that got me cringing was the mention of saving on food by eating in the food court…

When you are in a city that has such an amazing selection of food from around the globe, I just couldn’t understand why you would choose to eat in a food court. However, when time constraints and that awful feeling that I had already spent WAY too much over the weekend begun to impact my restaurant choice, I found myself stepping into a dreaded food court! Quickly moving past the usual takeaways, a little noodle bar appeared with food being cooked on a hot wok and piles of fresh vegetables. This ended up being the perfect spot for lunch and the big bowl of noodles kept me full until dinner and set me back $11.90, much better value than the cafe sandwich I had the day before.

Food aside, it is the first tip from this article I most agree with as being one of the best value for getting by in Sydney, and that is to purchase an Opal card. An Opal card is your ticket to Sydney’s public transport system including buses, trains and ferries, and it is free with a minimum credit of $10. With an Opal card you will receive the cheapest prices on transport, and this is where the true budget traveller will get excited, travel on Sunday is capped at $2.50!

So while spending a day riding the rails may not be that great, cruising the harbour on board a ferry gives you an amazing perspective of the city and allows you to get up close and personal with some of those iconic structures that make Sydney such a spectacular tourist destination.

With the few hours of free time I had the morning before my flight home, I enjoyed cruising the harbour with my camera at the ready, trying to capture some of the beauty that makes Sydney special.

I hope you enjoy my postcards from Sydney!

DSC01522 DSC01524 DSC01540 DSC01545 DSC01554 DSC01561 DSC01579 DSC01592 DSC01605 DSC01610 DSC01623 DSC01634

What is your favourite thing to do in Sydney on a budget? How do you save money when travelling?

Postcards From Sydney

(Linking up for Monday Escapes)

You Might Also Like

23 Comments

Chrissy
    April 20, 2016 at 5:28 pm

What beautiful photos of Sydney! It’s definitely on my bucket list of travel destinations and I hope to make it there one day! Thank you for all the interesting information!

Sally
      April 20, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Thanks Chrissy. I hope you get to visit soon, and when you do make sure you get out on the harbour!

michelle
    April 20, 2016 at 8:30 pm

i visited Sydney in 2004 and fell in love with the city. i can’t wait to go back to climb the harbor bridge

Sally
      April 20, 2016 at 9:48 pm

It is a beautiful city 🙂 That is on my list as well – the views would be amazing!

Heather @ Simply Save
    April 20, 2016 at 9:49 pm

I would LOVE to visit Sydney. It’d be the perfect trip to leave here in the winter and visit Sydney where it’s summer!

Sally
      April 20, 2016 at 9:52 pm

One of the perks of Australia is that it feels like summer all year round! The days can get ridiculously hot in the middle of summer, lucky there are some amazing beaches to cool off at!

Ashley
    April 20, 2016 at 10:42 pm

Sydney is definitely on my travel bucket list!! My husband and I have so many places we want to visit we better get a move on before kids happen!

Sally
      April 21, 2016 at 4:01 pm

With every place I visit the list just seems to get longer!

Cindy Saeger
    April 20, 2016 at 11:00 pm

I have always wanted to visit Australia and this post just added to my desire! Such a beautiful place!

Sally
      April 21, 2016 at 4:01 pm

It is such a great place to visit 🙂

Jackie @ My Sort Of Adult Life
    April 21, 2016 at 6:09 am

Gorgeous photos! Sydney looks amazing! I would love to go but that’s a very long plane ride…

Sally
      April 21, 2016 at 4:03 pm

Thanks Jackie 🙂 Being Australian you get used to the long plane rides otherwise you would never be able to visit anywhere else!

Rachel
    April 21, 2016 at 11:55 am

Sydney looks beautiful! I’ve heard that it’s expensive but I wonder how it is with the exchange rate where it’s at? I’d love to get here one day!

Sally
      April 21, 2016 at 4:05 pm

I’m not sure about that Rachel? It would definitely be something worth looking into!

Christie
    April 21, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Oh! I love stumbling upon fellow Australians. 😉

These pictures are gorgeous. I’ve still (embarrassingly) never been to Sydney. Well, besides a 2 minute stop-over from Perth to Queensland aha. But it’s definitely on my list! x

Sally
      April 21, 2016 at 4:07 pm

Haha, well I have never been to Perth! It’s a big country this one of ours! I hope you get to Sydney for a proper visit soon 🙂

Diana
    April 21, 2016 at 1:36 pm

Your photos look amazing! I hope that I will get to visit Sydney one day.

Sally
      April 21, 2016 at 4:08 pm

Thanks Diana!

Lauren (The Helpful Hiker)
    April 28, 2016 at 8:58 pm

I visited Sydney 15 years ago and loved it. Your stunning photos have made me want to go back now! It is expensive, but there’s always ways to save a few quid. #MondayEscapes

Christine
    May 2, 2016 at 6:28 am

Fab photos! I visited Sydney as a backpacker back in the early 1990s and ate out rather a lot in the food courts. They were quite a novelty to me then as I don’t remember them being widespread in the UK at the time. Hopefully when I finally get to visit again I’ll be able to eat out in restaurants! #Mondayescapes

Stephanie Robinson
    May 2, 2016 at 7:05 am

Beautiful shots from a lovely city. I remember when I visited I was surprised by the “tiled” surface of the Opera House, something you don’t see from the iconic shots. Beautiful though! #mondayescapes

Ting at My Travel Monkey
    May 6, 2016 at 6:18 pm

You’ve just brought back wonderful memories for me. I used to live in Sydney! We lived in a house share in Surrey Hills and I walked to work everyday via Darling Harbour. We were backpackers and definitely living on a budget – the budget of spending money on booze! Thanks for sharing on #MondayEscapes

Jim, Sydney, Australia
    May 10, 2016 at 3:20 pm

Great to see another blog with photos of Sydney.