24 In Life/ Travel

Why I Am Not Interested In Solo Travel

Melbourne_smlEach day my news feed is flooded with inspirational female bloggers who share a common love of exploring destinations around the globe, solo. I love reading their stories, I find their passion contagious and it makes me want to explore myself and tell my own version of the story. There is just one difference between them and me – I have no desire to jump on a plane by myself and become a solo female traveller.

Now I’m not saying this with any kind of negativity or judgement to those women who choose to travel solo. In fact it is quite the opposite as admire those who do. It is in no way an easy thing to do and there are so many challenges that need to be overcome for these women to be able to make the decision to travel alone.

But like with fashion, we all have our individual travel style and solo travel just doesn’t look good on me.

In Melbourne City_smlUntil I started reading these blogs it never even occurred to me to travel on my own. For me one of the most important experiences of travel is the ability to share it with someone else. I have recently read a few articles that proclaim that every woman in her twenties must travel solo to gain an understanding of herself and that basically those who don’t are missing out. I wanted to write this because I don’t agree with that. It is not a one size fits all strategy.

I recently visited Melbourne for work and chose to stay an extra night and explore the city on my own. While I’m certain I cannot judge solo travel by my one day and one night, I can say I felt my experience was lessened because I didn’t have anyone to share it with. For me, it is simply not enough to be surrounded by something new and interesting, I want to discuss and to share my thoughts in the moment, and to create those memories we can look back on when we get all sentimental relieving the stories that begin with, β€œremember when we…”.

Melbourne City_sml
I guess because my husband and I share the same views on travel it makes my decisions a lot easier. We both love exploring and sharing those new experiences, and it is together that we are truly able to capture the essence of a destination. Because of him, I have never been in a situation where I had to choose to visit somewhere alone, and I am quite grateful for that.

Going back to my short stay in Melbourne, interestingly the hardest part of my solo experience wasn’t what I had expected. I thought I would have an issue asking for a table for one. As I wandered down one of Melbourne’s famous laneways in search of this epic breakfast cafe that had been recommended to me, I honestly felt so awkward. However I actually found eating alone in a restaurant fine, the wait staff were so lovely and the food tasted so good I completely forgot my concerns and just enjoyed it! What I found the hardest was exploring the city on foot. This is something that I normally love but I found without company my walks lacked motivation and when I stumbled upon something amazing I had no one beside me to talk about how amazing it was, so I just kept walking.

Melbourne gardens_sml
Now in my day to day life I am quite comfortable with my own company and I have no problems being alone, but this aimless wandering around the city really got to me. It made me question the notion of solo travel and why people expect that it will be the right choice for everyone. I don’t think any solo traveller will deny that sometimes they get lonely, but for me at least, if I can avoid this feeling then I will.

I think travel needs to be individual. You can be inspired by so many different people and situations as long as we realise that not everyone will have the same experiences and enjoy the same things.
So whether you are a solo traveller, travel as a couple, or with friends and family, each experience is your own and you take from it what you choose.

What kind of traveller are you?

Why I Am Not Interested In Solo Travel

You Might Also Like

24 Comments

Michelle
    July 18, 2016 at 9:10 am

I also prefer to travel with friends or family πŸ™‚
    XO

Jenine
    July 18, 2016 at 9:42 am

I am with you on this. I prefer not to travel solo even though I absolutely love seeing the world. Maybe I’m not brave enough to go on my own, but I seriously don’t think it would be as enjoyable. Being able to share the moment, discuss and enjoy it with someone else is really important to me.

Sally
      July 19, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I totally agree Jenine – sharing the experience is such a critical factor in making the moment enjoyable.

Alanna
    July 18, 2016 at 11:56 am

I spent a week travelling on my own, because I didn’t have anybody to do that trip with, and I did enjoy myself. But I find trips with friends or my boyfriend to be so much more satisfying. Now only have I gotten to know a new city, but I also know my travel partner better & made new memories with them πŸ™‚

Sally
      July 19, 2016 at 7:21 pm

That is such a good point Alanna. You really do get to know someone better by travelling with them!

Lisa Sell
    July 18, 2016 at 5:55 pm

As with all things in life, you need to do what suits you, your personality and your interests. I love travelling with my husband because then I have someone to share the memories with who has them firsthand.

Sally
      July 19, 2016 at 8:05 pm

Exactly Lisa – everybody is different and will enjoy and appreciate different experiences.

Lavender Life
    July 18, 2016 at 9:29 pm

I’ve traveled on my own a few times, specially since my boyfriend isn’t big on traveling. But I enjoy it sooo much more in good company than alone.

Sally
      July 19, 2016 at 8:10 pm

It is interesting to hear perspectives from both sides. I think it is amazing that you don’t stop travelling just because your boyfriend doesn’t share your passion. Keep it up πŸ™‚

Marie Yovcheva
    July 18, 2016 at 9:30 pm

Traveling with friends/family is more fun in my opinion, sure you can enjoy yourself for awhile but exploring the world with someone is much more satisfying (plus you’ve always got someone to talk to, especially if you don’t know the native language in that country!)

Melanie
    July 18, 2016 at 9:46 pm

I want to travel so bad but never alone. First off its dangerous whether you’re a man or woman and second it’s more fun to travel with others. So yeah like you I’m not interested in this new solo travel thing πŸ™‚

Angela Philemon
    July 18, 2016 at 10:07 pm

Love travelling but with friends and family πŸ˜‰ <3

Anna @ Anna Can Do It!
    July 18, 2016 at 10:27 pm

Agreed, I love to travel with my family, my fiancΓ©! It’s more fun, I can share the experience with them (not just with strangers) and it’s way more safe this way! Great post! πŸ˜‰ – Love, Anna

Sally
      July 19, 2016 at 8:13 pm

Thanks Anna πŸ™‚

Amara C
    July 18, 2016 at 11:33 pm

I am one of those solo travelers. I love it. I love vacationing with my partner too, and it’s fun to share experiences with someone. But I think you inadvertently stumbled upon the best reason to travel alone: to be comfortable with being alone. In our modern world we share our experiences all the time online, but experiences do not have to be shared to be appreciated. Learn to love your own reaction, your own feelings. When you travel alone you learn a lot about yourself and your true interests. You should of course travel as you feel happiest, but maybe think about why you could only enjoy yourself when you’re sharing the experience. There is something wonderful that happens when you begin to explore being you and what makes you happy, even when nobody else is around. Enjoy your travels ( solo or together )! Thanks for sharing your point of view!

Sally
      July 19, 2016 at 8:18 pm

Hi Amara. Thank you for such an insightful comment. It is a really interesting perspective and such an interesting topic of discussion. I think for me it is not that I do not enjoy being alone but rather I find my feelings and enjoyment heightened when I can share it with someone who I know feels the same way. I definitely agree that we should spend more time exploring our own feelings, reactions and interests however I just do not believe that the only way to do this is through travelling alone. Thanks for sharing the perspectives of a solo traveller! x

Dominique
    July 18, 2016 at 11:35 pm

I totally agree with you. Each time I have travelled alone, I have wished that there was someone to share the experience with. Hell – even when I bike ride alone, I wish there was someone with me! LOL! Great post!

Sally
      July 19, 2016 at 8:21 pm

Haha thanks for your comment! Interesting to hear that you have travelled alone and still feel that experiences are better when shared πŸ™‚

Kristen
    July 19, 2016 at 1:14 am

I completely agree with you, I would probably be afraid to travel on my own, but at the same time, I would love to try it, just to experience some of my own independence. Sometimes traveling with people can be difficult, with silly arguments and things like that. Nevertheless, I love sharing special moments with my family and I do love traveling with them. But I think it’s good to go places by yourself sometimes for your own freedom, and just some time to think by yourself. It’s also a great fear to get over. I guess I have mixed feelings. Love this post though! πŸ™‚

Catrin - theVeganista
    July 19, 2016 at 4:18 am

I hate traveling alone, so much better with company! πŸ™‚

Megan Elgart
    July 19, 2016 at 5:08 am

I go back and forth between preferring solo travel and travel with a companion. I like my alone time, so when I travel with people, I have to make sure I wander off without them at some point or I get grumpy. Thank you for sharing your perspective. It’s important to acknowledge what may not be the “norm”

Thirty30Courtney
    July 19, 2016 at 6:10 pm

It’s always interesting hearing other approaches. I’m one of those solo travelers now, as I am in Europe for 6 weeks. It has been completely refreshing for me, but I do understand that it is not everyone’s cup of tea. I find that having a notebook for any of my travels is helpful. I don’t think you should completely rule it out and maybe start small but the good thing for you is you have a willing husband to join you!

Courtney | thirty30courtney.com

Rowan
    July 20, 2016 at 7:22 am

I have yet to do much travelling, but because I moved across the country for university I definitely agree with what you are saying. I think it’s so amazing that people can venture off on their own, and I love having days to myself at home where I just go downtown and wander alone. I did fly to China from Toronto by myself in high school to meet up with my Aunt and found the experience empowering. However the moments I truly cherish from that trip are the days where my Aunt and I got lost in the streets of Beijing together or went out for tea in Shanghai.
    xo, Rowan | rowanmorrissy.com

Sally
      July 23, 2016 at 7:32 am

Great way of putting it! You can enjoy it alone but the shared experiences can sometimes mean so much more πŸ™‚