I have a bit of a confession to make. I don’t really like salads! I very rarely order them at restaurants or cafes because I feel like I am missing out on the opportunity to order something better. Even less do I make them at home.
More often than not I end up finding them boring and unsatisfying. Sure I have eaten some amazing ones both at restaurants, and friends houses, but they always end up involving more prep time than I am willing to put in at home.
My brother is actually responsible for this salad being in my life. We had been trying out new ideas for dinner in order to include a bit more variety in our diets. Since that first try we have probably eaten it once a week. It has become a staple, a go to. It is the answer when we don’t know what to have for dinner. It is so good that it we have to share it with friends and family when they visit.
It is too good to keep to myself. Everyone needs to know about this salad, so naturally I had to share it here (with my brothers permission of course – gotta give him the appropriate credit!).
I think the reason I love this salad so much is the slab of fresh, toasted bread. Well that and the prosciutto of course. We use 50gms of thinly sliced Italian prosciutto per person and it is delicious. The better the prosciutto the better the salad, simple.
It is the combination of the char grilled bread, the saltiness of the prosciutto and the sweetness of the pear. Did I mention it is also one of the quickest and easiest meals to throw together?
There is literally no negative to this salad.
Go ahead and give this a go, it’s your new favourite just waiting to be made. Unless of course you don’t like prosciutto…but then I’m not sure we can be friends.
- 120 gram bag of baby spinach & rocket
- 200 grams thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 large green pear
- 50 grams chopped walnuts
- 4 thick slices of fresh bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Place the spinach and rocket leaves in a large bowl.
- Remove core from pear and thinly slice. Add to leaves.
- Tear prosciutto into smaller pieces and place in the bowl with the pear and leaves.
- Add walnuts.
- Mix everything together.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot.
- Drizzle bread slices with olive oil and toast in griddle pan until you get some nice charred parts. Be careful not to burn the bread through!
- Place bread on a plate and a generous portion of the salad.
- Add all dressing ingredients to a small jar and shake to mix.
- Spoon dressing over salad to taste.
What is your favourite salad? Do you find good salads hard to come by, or is it just my prejudice? Let me know if you would like to see more recipes like this on the blog this year!
Love this recipe as much as me? Pin it for later!